Friday, March 27, 2020

Scavenging, and this happens

Romit’s friends were closing down their gym and had a bunch of stuff that they were trying get rid of. And in keeping with our attempts to reuse anything we can, we took a break from picking pepper and offered to help clear things up. So, Neeti treated us to lunch at Mangalore Pearl, in exchange for a few hours lifting 6kg 18"x18" rubber tiles off the gym floor and piling them up in a corner for later storage. We cleared maybe 1500 sq ft, which means, we lifted and carried 650 tiles or so… 3900 kgs! Not bad, and we picked up 2 benches, a wooden box, a shoe rack, a metal rack of shelves, 3 rolls of artificial turf, a large mirror and 43 of those heavy bloody rubber tiles. Thank you, Neeti!

So, all this stuff, we pile onto Manik’s Isuzu that I had borrowed for this purpose, add an old wooden sofa on top and set off back to pin code 571201. Of course, a cop’s eyes light up when he sees a private vehicle carrying “goods” and he waves us down. “RC thorsi (show me the vehicle registration)”, he says, through his covid-19 prevention mask. I scramble for my phone where Manik had shared a photo of his RC card with me. Before I can locate the photo, we hear a mumble, “Corona… hogi, hogi (corona… go, go)”, and the cop’s gone! We stare at each other for a minute wondering what happened before the realization hits us… this is a “Chinese virus” and I must be a carrier! Muahahaha… I am a walking talking nightmare!

Anyhow, the rest of the drive up, I couldn’t help notice that the usually curious eyes in my direction were more wary than usual. Shrug, I guess.

No comments: