Friday, October 06, 2006

Bandh!

Tomorrow I will be working on a Saturday, and I will reflect on the conflict between the Maharashtra and the Karnataka governments. It's strange how little I know or care about the argument. Whose side am I on? Well, the side which ... once again ... what are they fighting about?

I woke up on Wednesday morning, and I heard birds chirping outside my window. This was the first time in Bangalore that the sound I've heard on waking up was not the sound of an autorickshaw roaring by Ulsoor Lake. Slowly, my mind adjusted to the thought that there was nothing I could do today, absolutely nothing. Was the thought uncomfortable? Not at all! My being rejoiced in the fact that there was nothing to do, nothing to accomplish.

Bangalore stood still. Perhaps it is coincidence, but the temperature dropped at least a couple of degrees on Wednesday. And when I rode to work on the next morning, the sky was just a little bluer.

I thought ... this should happen more often. Maybe once a month, everyone should stay home and give nature a chance to refresh the city, refresh our minds.

A pipedream I'm sure. I can't imagine the corporate world accepting the massive losses that are incurred on days like this. What about closing down on a Sunday? Well, the retail world, the entertainment world, and others of their ilk, would they be willing? Most of all though, would people stay at home if there wasn't the threat of someone stoning their cars?

I don't believe that this thought is mine alone, but....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew... and here I thought you're gonna be one cynical dude (based on the first 2 posts) :)

Keep blogging - and more often!

EnGeetham aka "My Song!" said...

Looking from that dimension, not a bad thought...